If you keep receiving the Search.hgomaps.co when you open the Google Chrome or other web browser, then it is possible your web browser is affected with the obnoxious PUP (potentially unwanted program), specifically a browser hijacker. Once installed, it changes web browsers settings. So, every time, when you’ll launch the internet browser, it’ll start to open Search.hgomaps.co undesired instead of your start page. Moreover, this malicious software can block an option to return your start page.
As well as unwanted web-browser redirections to Search.hgomaps.co, the browser hijacker infection can gather your World Wide Web browsing activity by saving URLs visited, IP addresses, web-browser version and type, cookie information, Internet Service Provider (ISP) and webpages visited. Such kind of behavior can lead to serious security problems or privacy information theft. This is another reason why the hijacker infection that reroutes the browser to Search.hgomaps.co, is categorized as PUP (potentially unwanted program).
We advise opting for automatic Search.hgomaps.co removal in order to remove all hijacker related entries easily. This method requires scanning the personal computer with reputable anti-malware, e.g. AdwCleaner or Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM). However, if you prefer manual removal steps, you can use the steps below in this blog post. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to close your web-browser or reboot your machine.
To remove Search.hgomaps.co, use the following steps:
- Removing the Search.hgomaps.co, check the list of installed apps first
- Clean up the browsers shortcuts that have been hijacked by Search.hgomaps.co
- Get rid of Search.hgomaps.co search from Chrome
- Scan your system and remove Search.hgomaps.co redirect with AdwCleaner
- To sum up
Removing the Search.hgomaps.co, check the list of installed apps first
The best way to start the system cleanup is to remove unknown and suspicious software. Using the MS Windows Control Panel you can do this quickly and easily. This step, in spite of its simplicity, should not be ignored, because the removing of unneeded apps can clean up the Chrome from pop-up ads hijackers and so on.
Make sure you have closed all web-browsers and other programs. Next, remove any undesired and suspicious programs from your Control panel.
From the “Start” menu in MS Windows, select “Control Panel”.
Under the “Programs” icon, select “Uninstall a program”.
Choose the dubious or any unknown applications, then press “Uninstall/Change” button to uninstall this undesired program from your machine.
Clean up the browsers shortcuts that have been hijacked by Search.hgomaps.co
Important to know, most antimalware apps that are able to delete Search.hgomaps.co hijacker and other web browser’s malicious extensions, but unable to scan for and recover modified shortcut files. So, you need to fix the desktop shortcuts for your Google Chrome internet browsers manually.
Click the right mouse button to a desktop shortcut file that you use to open your web browser. Next, select the “Properties” option. Important: necessary to click on the desktop shortcut file for the browser which is rerouted to the Search.hgomaps.co or other intrusive web-site.
Further, necessary to look at the text which is written in the “Target” field. The hijacker responsible for redirects to Search.hgomaps.co can replace the contents of this field, which describes the file to be run when you start your web-browser. Depending on the internet browser you’re using, there should be:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
If you are seeing an unknown text like “http://site.addres” that has been added here, then you should remove it, as displayed in the following example.
Next, click the “OK” button to save the changes. Now, when you run the browser from this desktop shortcut file, it does not occur automatically redirect on the Search.hgomaps.co web page or any other unwanted web sites. Once the step is done, we recommend to go to the next step.
Get rid of Search.hgomaps.co search from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a simple way to delete the hijacker, malicious and adware extensions, as well as to restore the web browser’s new tab page, default search engine and homepage that have been changed by hijacker infection.
- First run the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed plugins. If the list has a suspicious or an unknown plugin, then click Trash button to uninstall it.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is finished, your web-browser’s search engine, homepage and newtab page will be restored to their original defaults.
Scan your system and remove Search.hgomaps.co redirect with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a completely free tool. You don’t need expensive solutions to get rid of browser hijacker that causes web browsers to display intrusive Search.hgomaps.co web-site and other misleading software. AdwCleaner will delete all the unwanted applications like ad-supported software and hijackers for free.
- Installing the AdwCleaner is simple. First you’ll need to download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below. Save it to your Desktop.
Download AdwCleaner link
- After the download is done, double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is opened, click “Scan” button to detect hijacker which cause a reroute to Search.hgomaps.co web-site. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the AdwCleaner application is scanning, you may see number of objects it has identified as threat.
- Once the system scan is finished, you can check all threats detected on your computer. Next, you need to click “Clean” button. It will open a prompt, press “OK”.
These few simple steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
To sum up
After completing the few simple steps shown above, your PC system should be clean from this browser hijacker and other malware. The Google Chrome will no longer show undesired Search.hgomaps.co web-page on startup. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new hijacker infection, and then the best way – ask for help on a Spyware Removal Forum.