What is Search.becovi.com?
Search.becovi.com is a website that is advertised by its creators as “The best search engine without cookies and history!”. Usually such sites are promoted by potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) that security experts classify as browser hijackers. Browser hijackers are a type of software that modifies browser settings (often without the explicit consent of users) in order to promote a specific URL.
Typically, browser hijackers and PUPs promotes various search engines by modifying browser settings such as the address of the search engine, new tab and home page. More precisely, these programs simply change those addresses to an address of a search engine. In this case, the browser hijacker changes browser settings to Search.becovi.com. Thus, this site is opened every time the user launches a browser, creates a new tab, or searches the web. Sites that pretend to be search engines show results that they generate from results obtained from Google, Yahoo, Bing, or Yandex. Ads, links to advertised sites may be included in these results. In some cases, these websites show a list of advertising sites as search results, thus blocking the user from searching the Internet.
In addition to unwanted browser redirects, changes to browser settings, fake search results, there is another good reason to remove a browser hijacker as soon as possible. The reason is that any browser hijacker installed in the browser or operating system (it doesn’t matter Windows or Mac) can collect data about the user’s activity on the Internet. That is, a browser hijacker can act as spyware and collect information such as: which sites the user visited, the user’s geolocation, search queries, IP addresses. These are the main reasons why browser hijackers should never be installed in the browser and on the computer.
|Threat Type||Browser hijacker, Potentially unwanted application, PUA|
|Symptoms||You see unwanted pop-up ads, your browser is redirected to unexpected websites, websites load slower than usual|
|Distribution methods||Adware, Torrent files, Cracks, Drive-by downloads, Phishing emails|
|Damage||Lots of intrusive ads, redirects to malicious sites, changes in browser settings, loss of personal data|
|Removal||To remove Search.becovi.com, get rid of browser redirects and intrusive ads, we recommend following the instructions below|
There are many more potentially unwanted applications and browser hijackers. In most cases, they are promoted as useful utilities for the user, but the advertised features are often useless or not available at all. The main purpose of these unwanted apps is to generate revenue for creators at the expense of users. That is why, instead of the declared useful functions, these apps display ads, change browser and computer settings, redirect users to dangerous sites and collect information about users.
How does browser hijakers get installed onto computers
Most browser hijakers are distributed by software installers and downloaders. Attackers use a deceptive technique called “bundling” to spread browser hijackers and potentially unwanted apps. They create an installer/downloader that includes browser hijackers and PUAs. When this downloader/installer is launched, this malware is automatically installed on users’ computers. Therefore, launching suspicious files, downloading files from untrustworthy sources, quick installation of programs, disabled antivirus, inattention to the installer’s messages significantly increase the risk of installing malicious apps on a Mac computer.
Tips to prevent browser hijackers and other unwanted applications
Fake Flash Player updater promoting browser hijackers:
Automatic Mac malware removal
Malware can be removed manually or automatically; we will describe both methods below. If you are not well versed in Mac settings and are not sure that you can remove the malware manually, then I recommend using Malwarebytes for Mac. This utility will scan your computer and allow you to remove the found malware for free.
- What is Search.becovi.com
- Remove Search.becovi.com related files
- Remove Search.becovi.com from Safari
- Remove Search.becovi.com from Chrome
- Remove Search.becovi.com from Firefox
Remove Search.becovi.com related files
1. Remove Search.becovi.com related applications from your “Applications” folder. Click the Finder icon. In the Finder window, select “Applications”. In the list of installed applications, look for suspicious applications and drag them to the Trash.
After that, I recommend scanning your computer for malware.
2. Remove Search.becovi.com related files and folders. Files related to browser hijackers are most often located in the following directories, browse these directories one by one and check their contents.
- /Library/Application Support
To open the required directory, click the Finder icon, from the menu bar. Click Go and click “Go to Folder…”.
2.1. Check for malware-generated files in /Library/LaunchAgents. In the “Go to Folder…” prompt, type “/Library/LaunchAgents” and press Go.
In this directory, take a look at the newly created files, pay special attention to files with odd names or files with a name of random characters. It often happens that malicious software creates several files with similar names. Move all suspicious files to the Trash.
2.2. Check for malware-generated files in /Library/Application Support. In the “Go to Folder…” prompt, type “/Library/Application Support” and click the Go button.
In this folder, look for recently created suspicious files. Move all these files to the trash.
2.3. Check for malware-generated files in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. In the “Go to Folder…” prompt, type “~/Library/LaunchAgents”, click Go.
As in the previous steps, look for suspicious files in this directory, pay special attention to recently created files. Move these files to the Trash.
2.4. Check for malware-generated files in /Library/LaunchDaemons. In the “Go to Folder…” prompt, type “/Library/LaunchDaemons”, click Go.
Again, you need to carefully scroll through the contents of the directory, find suspicious files and move them to the Trash.
3. Scan your Mac for malware. By following the steps above, you have removed the files and applications associated with Search.becovi.com. To be sure that there are no other parts of the browser hijacker left on the Mac computer, I recommend scanning the computer with Malwarebytes. Click here to Download it. After downloading the program, locate the file named Malwarebytes-Mac-4.x.y.zzz.pkg and double-click it. Follow the instructions of the installation wizard. When the installation is complete, you will see the main program Dashboard. Click the Scan button to scan your Mac for browser hijacker and other malware.
Remove Search.becovi.com from Safari
1. Remove the extension associated with the browser hijacker. Open Safari browser, click “Safari” and select “Preferences…”.
2. In the Preferences window, open the Extensions tab. Look here for suspicious extensions, pay special attention to extensions with strange names and recently installed ones. Once you find the extension associated with the browser hijacker, remove it, press the Uninstall button. If in doubt, remove all extensions. This will not affect the normal operation of the browser.
Remove Search.becovi.com from Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser, click the Chrome menu (the button in the form of three dots in the upper right corner of the browser window). In this menu, select “More tools”, and in the next menu, select Extensions.
2. Look for suspicious extensions in the list of installed extensions, and then remove them by clicking the Remove button to the right of the extension name. If you don’t find anything suspicious, then you can remove all extensions, as this is not critical for the browser.
Remove Search.becovi.com from Firefox
1. Open Firefox browser, click the Firefox menu (the button in the form of three dots in the upper right corner of the browser window). In this menu, click Add-ons.
2. In the left pane, select the Extensions tab and a list of installed extensions will open in the right pane. Look the list for suspicious extensions. When found, delete them by clicking the Remove button. Even if you remove all extensions, it will not harm your browser (if you are in doubt which extension is malicious).